Sabtu, 05 Juni 2021

Good Will Hunting

i got to know this Good Will Hunting movie when Johnny and Mark mentioning the way they made a movie (Freaky Handshake) together was just like Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. i don't check the movie right away but i'm glad i finally did.

so, one time, at lunch break, i watch this movie...

i don't read any synopsis or anything about the movie, so i was completely clueless. it's an old movie (1997, after i google it). Ben Affleck look sooo different, he's so young. the movie is written by Ben Affleck and Matt Damon (i thought it's just because they both starring in it). its look like typical American movie that i know (which not that much), and since Robin Williams also playing, its somehow reminds me to Dead Poets Society (watch it in Middle School and i still remember how sad it is).

so Chuckie (Ben Affleck) is a rich friend who pick up Will (Matt Damon) with other 2 friends Billy and Morgan to work everyday, including paying for their meals and drinks. Will work as a janitor at MIT (w😏w). He solved a math problem that was posted in a hallway blackboard by Prof. Lambeau, anonymously. so now, Prof. Lambeau is searching the person who solved it, as it was a big deal for him, even calling him 'Mystery Math Magician' and post another math problem that took him and his team 2 years to solved😏

meanwhile Will get into a fight with his kindergarten bully then arrested. this is not his first arrest, but he manage to get a way out in court several times. he could not get away on this one because he assaulted one of the officers.

Will solved the math problem again and almost get caught by Lambeau who think he drew graffiti on his math problem but left shock after looking at the board. 

Will and his friends are going to 'Harvard' bar, when Chuckie tried to impress some girls. an entitled guy come over trying to embarrass him and impress the girl at the same time by quoting book that he read as if its his own opinion, so Will get in (in a super smart-cool way) to expose him. One of the girl, Skylar is impressed, so she ask Will if they can go out and get some coffee.

"Gotta' get up early and waste some more money on my overpriced education."

"... maybe we could just get together and eat a bunch of caramels.
When you think about it, it's as arbitrary as drinking coffee."

so here is some of my favorites parts and lines:

"How do you like dem apples?"


anyway, so... Lambeau start searching the janitor who solved his math problem and saw how Will defend himself in court. Lambeau making arrangements with the judge that Will will be under his supervision with 2 conditions: 1. meet him once a week to solved or proved math problem and 2. seeing a therapist. Will ended up agreeing but mocking his therapist along the way. Until he met Sean (Robin Williams) who once Lambeau's roommate in college.



 
"You know what the real bitch of it is? It's paint by number."


"The sky's fallin' on your head, the waves are crashin' over your little boat, the oars are about to snap.
You just piss in your pants, you're cryin' for the harbors, and maybe you do what you gotta do to get out.
Yeah, maybe you became a psychologist."
😤sotoy banget Will😤

                        SEAN
           I thought about what you said to me the other day,
           about my painting.

                        WILL
           eah?

                        SEAN
           Stayed up half the night thinking about it. Something
           occurred to me, I fell into a deep peaceful sleep, and I
           haven't thought about you since. You know what
           occurred to me?

                        WILL
           No.

                        SEAN
           You're just a kid. You don't have the faintest idea what
           you're talking about.

                        WILL
           Why thank you.

                        SEAN
           It's all right. You've never been out of Boston.

                        WILL
           Nope.

                        SEAN
           So, if I asked you about art, you'd probably give
           me the skinny on every art book ever written.
           Michelangelo. You know a lot about him. Life's work,
           political aspirations, him and the pope, sexual
           orientation, the whole works, right? But I bet you
           can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel.
           You've never actually stood there and looked up at that
           beautiful ceiling. Seen that....If I ask you about
           women, you'd probably give me a syllabus of your
           personal favorites. You may have even been laid a few
           times. But you can't tell me what it feels like to wake
           up next to a woman and feel truly happy. You're a
           tough kid. I ask you about war, you'd probably
           uh...throw Shakespeare at me, right? "Once more into
           the breach, dear friends." But you've never been near
           one. You've never held your best friend's head in your
           lap, and watched him gasp his last breath looking to
           you for help. I ask you about love, y'probably quote
           me a sonnet. But you've never looked at a woman and
           been totally vulnerable...known someone that could
           level you with her eyes. Feeling like God put an angel
           on Earth just for you..who could rescue you from the
           depths of Hell. And you wouldn't know what it's like
           to be her angel, n to have that love for her be there
           forever. Through anything. Through cancer. And you
           wouldn't know about sleepin' sittin' up in a hospital
           room for two months, holding her hand because the
           doctors could see in your eyes that the terms visiting
           hours don't apply to you. You don't know about real
           loss, because that only occurs when you love
           something more than you love yourself. I doubt you've
           ever dared to love anybody that much. I look at you: I
           don't see an intelligent, confident man. I see a cocky,
           scared shitless kid. But you're a genius, Will. No one
           denies that. no one could possibly understand the
           depths of you. But you presume to know everything
           about me because you saw a painting of mine and
           ripped my fuckin' life apart. You're an orphan, right?
           Do you think I'd know the first thing about how hard
           your life has been, how you feel, who you are because
           I read Oliver Twist? Does that encapsulate you?
           Personally, I don't give a shit about that, because you
           know what? I can't learn anything from you I can't
           read in some fuckin' book. Unless you wanna talk
           about you, who you are. And I'm fascinated. I'm in.
           But you don't wanna do that, do you, sport? You're
           terrified of what you might say. 
           Your move, chief. 
"He just sat there counting the seconds until the session was over.
Pretty impressive, actually."
                       
                        WILL
           Yeah. Don't worry about me, I know what I'm doin'.
           Yeah, but this girl is like, you know, beautiful. She's
           smart. She's funny. She's different from most of the
           girls I've been with.

                        SEAN
           So, call her up, Romeo.

                        WILL
           Why? So I can realize she's not that smart, that she's
           fuckin' boring? Y'know--I mean...this girl is like
           fuckin' perfect right now, I don't wanna r--ruin that.

                        SEAN
           Maybe you're perfect right now. Maybe you don't
           wanna ruin that. I think that's a super philosophy, Will,
           that way you can go through your entire life without
           ever having to really know anybody....

                        SEAN
           Oh Christ....aahhh, but, Will, she's been
           dead two years and that's the shit I remember.
           Wonderful stuff, you know, little things like that. Ah,
           but, those are the things I miss the most. The little
           idiosyncrasies that only I knew about. That's what made
           her my wife. Oh and she had the goods on me, too, she
           knew all my little peccadillos. 
           People call these things
           imperfections, but they're not, aw that's the good stuff. >
           And then we get to choose who we let in to our weird
           little worlds. 
           You're not perfect, sport. And let me
           save you the suspense. This girl you met, she isn't
           perfect either. But the question is: whether or not you're
           perfect for each other. 
           That's the whole deal. That's
           what intimacy is all about. Now you can know
           everything in the world, sport, but the only way you're
           findin' out that one is by givin' it a shot. You certainly
           won't learn from an old fucker like me. 
           Even if I did
           know, I wouldn't tell a piss ant like you.

                        WILL
           Why not? You told me every other fuckin' thing. Jesus
           Christ. Fuckin' talk more than any shrink I ever seen in
           my life.

                        SEAN
           I teach this shit, I didn't say I know how to do it.

                        WILL
           Yeah.......You ever think about gettin' remarried?

                        SEAN
           My wife's dead.

                        WILL
           Hence the word: remarried.

                        SEAN
           She's dead.

                        WILL
           Yeah.. 
           Well, I think that's a super philosophy, Sean. I
           mean that way you could actually go through the rest of
           your life without ever really knowing anybody.
                        SEAN
           Time's up.
                    
                        WILL
           You ever wonder what your life would be like if you
           uh..if you never met your wife?

                        SEAN
           What? Wonder if I'd be better off without her?

                        WILL
           no,no,no, I'm not saying, like, better off.

                        SEAN
           No.

                        WILL
           I didn't mean it like that.

                        SEAN
           It's all right. It's an important question. 
           Cus' you'll
           have bad times, but that'll always wake you up to the
           good stuff you weren't paying attention to.

                        WILL
           And you don't regret meetin' your wife?

                        SEAN
           Why? Because of the pain I feel now? Well, I got
           regrets, Will, but I don't regret a single day I spent with
           her.

                        WILL
           So, when did you know, like, that she was the one
           for you?

                        SEAN
           October 21st, 1975.

                        WILL
           Jesus Christ. You know the fuckin' date?

                        SEAN
           Oh yeah. Cus' it was game six of the World Series.
           Biggest game in Red Sox history.

                        ...

                        WILL
           Did you rush the field?

                        SEAN
           No..I didn't rush the fuckin' field, I wasn't there.

                        WILL
           What?

                        SEAN
           No..I was in a bar havin' a drink with my future wife.

                        WILL
           You missed Pudge Fisk's homerun?

                        SEAN
           Oh yeah.

                        WILL
           To have a fuckin' drink with some lady you never met?

                        SEAN
           Yeah, but you shoulda' seen her. She was a stunner.

                        WILL
           I don't care if fuckin'--

                        SEAN
           Oh no, no, she lit up the room.

                        WILL
           I don't care if Helen of Troy walks in the room, that's
           game six!

                        SEAN
           Oh, Helen of Troy..

                        WILL
           Oh my God, and who are these fuckin' friends of
           yours they let you get away with that?

                        SEAN
           Oh...They had to.

                        WILL
           W-w-w-what'd you say to them?

                        SEAN
           I just slid my ticket across the table and I said, "Sorry
           guys, I gotta' see about a girl."

                        ...

                        WILL
           You're kiddin' me.

                        SEAN
           No, I'm not kiddin' you, Will. That's why I'm not
           talkin' right now about some girl I saw at a bar twenty
           years ago and how I always regretted not going over
           and talking to her. 
           I don't regret the 18 years I was
           married to Nancy. I don't regret the six years I had to
           give up counseling when she got sick. And I don't regret
           the last years when she got really sick. And I sure as hell
           don't regret missin' the damn game. That's regret.

                       
"It's not fair. I've been here for four years, and I've only just found you."
                         WILL
You could be in California next week and, you know, you might find out something about me you don't like and, you know, maybe you'll wish you hadn't said that and then, you know, it's such a serious thing that you can't take it back and now I'm stuck in California with someone who doesn't really want to be with me who just wishes they had a takeback. ...
                        WILL
           What am I so scared of?

                        SKYLAR
           Well, what aren't you scared of? You live in this safe
           little world where no one challenges you and you're
           scared shitless to do anything else but defend yourself
           because that would mean you'd hafta' change.

                        WILL
           Oh no. Don't, don't, don't tell me about my world.
           Don't tell me about my world! I mean you just wanna
           have you fling with like the guy from the other side of
           town. Then you're going to go off to Stanford, you're
           going to marry some rich prick who your parents will
           approve of and just sit around with the other trust fund
           babies and talk about how you went slumming too, once.

                        SKYLAR
           Why are you saying this? What is your obsession with
           this money? My father died when I was 13 and I
           inherited this money. Nearly every day I wake up, and I
           wish that I could give it back, that I would give it back
           in a second if it meant I could have one more day with
           him, but I can't and that's my life and I deal with it. So
           don't put your shit on me, when you're the one that's
           afraid.

                        WILL
           I'm afraid? Wha--wha--what am I afraid of, huh? What
           the fuck am I afraid of?

                        SKYLAR
           You're afraid of me. You're afraid that I won't love you
           back. And you know what? I'm afraid too. Fuck it. I
           want to give it a shot and at least I'm honest with you.

                        WILL
           I'm not honest with you?

                        SKYLAR
           No, what about your twelve brothers?

                        WILL
           All right.

                        SKYLAR
           No. You're not going. You're not leaving.

                        WILL
           What do you want to know? What? That I don't have
           twelve brothers?

                        SKYLAR
           Yes.

                        WILL
           That I'm a fuckin' orphan!

                        SKYLAR
           Ye

                        WILL
           No, you don't wanna hear that!

                        SKYLAR
           I didn't know that.

                        WILL
           No, you don't wanna hear that.

                        SKYLAR
           I didn't know it.

                        WILL
            You don't wanna hear that I had fuckin' cigarettes put
            out on me when I was a little kid.

                        SKYLAR
            Oh...I didn't know that...

                        WILL
            That this isn't fuckin' surgery, that the motherfucker
            stabbed me. You don't wanna hear that shit, Skylar.

                        SKYLAR
            I do wanna hear it.

                        WILL
            Don't tell me you want to hear that shit!

                        SKYLAR
            I want to hear it because I want to help you. Because I
            want to--

                        WILL
            Help me! What the fuck? What I got a fucking sign on
            my back? That says "save me?"

                        SKYLAR
            No.

                        WILL
            Do I look like I need that?

                        SKYLAR
            No. God, I just want to be with you because I love you!

                        WILL
            Don't bullshit me. Don't bullshit me. Don't you fuckin'
            bullshit me!

                        SKYLAR
            I love you. I wanna hear you say that you don't love me.
            Because if you say that, then I won't call you, and I
            won't be in your life...

                        WILL
            I don't love you.
                        SEAN
           You feel like you're alone, Will?

                        WILL
           What?

                        SEAN
           Do you have a soul mate?

                        WILL
           Define that.

                        SEAN
           Somebody who challenges you.

                        WILL
            I have Chuckie.

                        SEAN
            You know, Chuckie's family, he'd lie down in fuckin'
            traffic for you. I'm talking about someone who opens
            up things for you. Touches your soul.

                        WILL
            I got..I got..

                        SEAN
            Who?

                        WILL
            I got plenty.

                        SEAN
            Well, name 'em.

                        WILL
            Shakespeare, Nietzsche, Frost, o'Conner, Kant, Pope,
            Locke...

                        SEAN
            That's great. They're all dead.

                        WILL
            Not to me, they're not.

                        SEAN
            Yeah, but you don't have a lot of dialog with them. You
            can't give back to them, Will.

                        WILL
            Well, not without some serious smelling salts and a
            heater.

                        SEAN
            Yeah. Well, that's what I'm saying. You'll never have
            that kind of a relationship in a world where you're
            always afraid to take the first step because all you see is
            every negative thing ten miles down the road.

                        WILL
            What? You're going to take the professor's side on this?

                        SEAN
            Don't give me a line of shit. No.

                        WILL
            Look. I didn't want the job.

                        SEAN
            It's not about the job. I don't care if you work for the
            government. But you can do anything you want, you are
            bound by nothing. What are you passionate about. What
            do you want? I mean there are guys who work their
            entire lives laying brick so that their kids have a chance
            at the opportunities you have here.

                        WILL
            I didn't ask for this.

                        SEAN
            No. You were born with it. So, don't cop out behind "I
            didn't ask for this."

                        WILL
            What do you mean "cop out?" I mean, w-w-what's
            wrong with layin' brick?

                        SEAN
            Nothing.

                        WILL
            There's nothing wrong---That's some-- That's
            somebody's home I'm building.

                        SEAN
            Right. My dad laid brick. Okay? Busted his ass so I
            could have an education.

                        WILL
            Exactly. That's an honorable profession. What's wrong
            with..with fixing somebody's car. Someone can get to
            work the next day because of me. There's honor in that.

                        SEAN
            Yeah, there is, Will. There is honor in that. And there's
            honor in, you know, taking that forty minute train ride
            so those (college kids come) in the morning and the
            floors are clean and the wastebaskets are empty. That's
            real work.

                        WILL
            That's right.

                        SEAN
            Right. And that's honorable. I'm sure that's why you
            took that job, I mean, for the honor of it. I just have a
            little question here. You could be a janitor anywhere.
            Why did you work at the most prestigious technical
            college in the whole fuckin' world? And why did you
            sneak around at night and finish other people's formulas
            that only one or two people in the world could do, and
            then lie about it? Cus' I don't see a lot of honor in that,
            Will. So, what do you really want to do?

                        WILL
            I wanna' be a shepherd.

                        SEAN
            Really.

                        WILL
            I wanna move up to Nashua get a nice little spread get
            some sheep and tend to them.

                        SEAN
            Maybe you should go do that.

                        WILL
            What?

                        SEAN
            You know, if you're going to jerk off, why don't you
            just do it at home with a moist towel?

                        WILL
            You're chuckin' me?

                        SEAN
            Yeah, get the fuck out.

                        WILL
            Hey, no, no, no. Time's not up, yet.

                        SEAN
            Yeah it is.

                        WILL
            I'm not leavin'. No!

                        SEAN
            Listen. You're not going to answer my questions, you're
            wasting my fuckin' time.

                        WILL
            What? I thought we were friends. Whadoyou mean
            you--

                        SEAN
            Playtime's over, okay?

                        WILL
            Well, why're you kickin' me out, Sean? I mean, what? I
            mean...you're lecturing me on life? Look at you, you
            fuckin' burnout. What winds your clock?

                        SEAN
            Workin' with you.

                        WILL
            Where's your soul mate? You wanna talk about soul
            mates? Where is she?

                        SEAN
            Dead.

                        WILL
            That's right, she's fuckin' dead. She fuckin' dies and you
            just cash in your chips and you walk away?

                        SEAN
            Hey, at least I played a hand.

                        WILL
            Oh...You played a hand and you lost. You lost a big
            fuckin' hand and some people lose a big hand like that
            and have the sack to ante up again.

                        SEAN
            Look at me. What do you wanna do? You and your
            bullshit. You got a bullshit answer for everybody. But I
            ask you a very simple question and you can't give me a
            straight answer. Because you don't know. See you, bo
            peep.

                        WILL
            Fuck you.

                        SEAN
           You're the shepherd......Shepherd...Fuckin' Prick.

                        CHUCKIE
           Look, you're my best friend, so don't take this the wrong
           way. In twenty years, if you're still livin' here, comin'
           over to my house to watch the Patriots games, still
           workin' construction, I'll fuckin' kill you. That's not a
           threat. Now, that's a fact. I'll fuckin' kill you.

                        WILL
           What the fuck are you talkin' about?

                        CHUCKIE
           Look. You got somethin' none of us--

                        WILL
           Oh come on..Wh--Why is it always this, I mean, I fuckin'
           owe it to myself to do this..why if I don't want to.

                        CHUCKIE
           All right. No. No no. Fuck you. You don't owe it to
           yourself. You owe it to me. Cus' tomorrow I'm gonna
           wake up and I'll be fifty. And I'll still be doin' this shit.
           And that's all right, that's fine. I mean, you're sitting on
           a winnin' lottery ticket. And you're too much of a pussy
           to cash it in. And that's bullshit. Cus' I'd do fuckin'
           anything to have what you got. So would any of these
           fuckin' guys. it'd be an insult to us if you're still here in
           twenty years. Hanging around here is a fuckin' waste of
           your time.

                        WILL
           You don't know that.

                        CHUCKIE
           I don't?

                        WILL
           No. You don't know that.

                        CHUCKIE
           Oh I don't know that. Let me tell you what I do know.
           Every day I come by your house and I pick you up. And
           we go out, we have a few drinks, and a few laughs, and
           it's great. But you know what the best part of my day is?
           It's for about ten seconds from when I pull up to the curb
           to when I get to your door. Because I think maybe I'll
           get up there and I'll knock on the door and you won't be
           there. No goodbye, no see you later, no nothin'. Just left.
           I don't know much, but I know that. 
                        LAMBEAU
           Well, what problems does he have, Sean? That he's better
           off as a janitor? That he's better off in jail? Better off
           hanging out with a bunch of retarded gorillas?

                        SEAN
           Oh, why do you think he does that, Gerry? Do you have
           any fuckin' clue why? Hmm?

                        LAMBEAU
           He can handle the problems. he can handle the work. And
           he obviously handled you.

                        SEAN
           Gerry listen to me. Listen to me. Why is he hiding? Why
           doesn't he trust anybody? Because the first thing that
           happened to him, he was abandoned by the people who
           were supposed to love him most.

                        LAMBEAU
           Oh, come on, don't give me that Freudian crap.

                        SEAN
           Aw, now listen, Gerry. And why does he hang out with
           those retarded gorillas, as you call them? Because any
           one of them, if he asked them to, would take a fuckin' bat
           to your head, okay? That's called loyalty.

                        LAMBEAU
            Yeah, that's very touching.

                        SEAN
            And who's he handling? He pushes people away before
            they have a chance to leave him. It's a defense
            mechanism, all right? And for twenty years he's been
            alone because of that. And if you push him right now,
            it's going to be the same thing all over again, and I'm
            not gunna let that happen to him.


                        WILL
            I can...come back.

                        LAMBEAU
            No come in. uh...I was just leaving.

                        SEAN
            A lot of that stuff goes back a long way between me and
            him. You know...it's not about you.

                        WILL
            What is that?

                        SEAN
            This is your file. I hafta' send it back to the judge for
            evaluation.

                        WILL
            Hey, you're not gunna fail me, are you? What's it say?

                        SEAN
            Wanna read it?

                        WILL
            Why?... Have you had any uh...experience with that?

                        SEAN
            Twenty years of counseling. Yeah, I've seen some pretty
            awful shit.

                        WILL
            I mean have you had any..experience with that?

                        SEAN
            Personally? yeah...Yeah I have.

                        WILL
            It sure ain't good.

                        SEAN
            My father was an alcoholic. Mean fuckin' drunk. He'd
            come home hammered, lookin' to wail on somebody.
            So, I had to provoke him so he wouldn't go after my
            mother and little brother. Interesting nights were when
            he wore his rings.

                        WILL
            Yeah...he used to just put a uh...a wrench, a stick, and a
            belt on the table, and just say choose.

                        SEAN
            Well, I gotta' go with the belt there, Vanna.

                        WILL
            Uh..well, I used to go with the wrench.

                        SEAN
            Why the wrench?

                        WILL
            cus' Fuck him, that's why.

                        SEAN
            Your foster father?

                        WILL
            Yeah. So uh...you know, what is it? Like, Will has an
            attachment disorder? Is it all that stuff? Fear of
            abandonment? Is that why uh...Is that why I broke up
            with Skylar?

                        SEAN
            I didn't know you had.

                        WILL
            Yeah...I did.

                        SEAN
            You wanna talk about it?

                        WILL
            No...

                        SEAN
            Hey, Will? I don't know a lot. But you see this? All this
            shit. It's not your fault.

                        WILL
            Yeah, I know that.

                        SEAN
            Look at me, son. It's not your fault.

                        WILL
            I know.

                        SEAN
            It's not your fault.

                        WILL
            I know.

                        SEAN
           No, no, you don't. It's not your fault.

                        WILL
           I know.

                        SEAN
           It's not your fault.

                        WILL
           All right.

                        SEAN
           It's not your fault. It's not your fault.

                        WILL
           Don't fuck with me.

                        SEAN
           It's not your fault.

                        WILL
           Don't fuck with me all right? Don't fuck with me,
           Sean, not you.

                        SEAN
           It's not your fault...It's not your fault...

                        WILL
                 (through heavy sobbing)
           Oh God....Oh God, I'm so sorry...

                        SEAN
           Fuck them, okay?


                        WILL
           Hey, does this violate the uh...patient-doctor
           relationship?

                        SEAN
           Eh...only if you grab my ass.


                        WILL'S NOTE TO SEAN
           Sean, if the Professor calls about that job, just tell him,
           sorry, I had to go see about a girl. Will

                        SEAN
           Son of a bitch, he stole my line.

                         THE END




Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar